The charter members were: Karl Beyers and wife, George Blensinger and wife, Adam Dersch and wife, John Fell and wife, Conrad Frischolz and wife, John Hoskin, Michael Ley and wife, John Nolte and wife, Maria Miller and wife, William Noll and wife, John Nolte and wife, Maria Northdurft (Mary, Mrs. Theo Herzog), Frederick Stier and wife, Jacob Wagner, Jacob Welde and wife, and Philip Windish and wife.
At the March 24, 1880 meeting, a resolution was adopted to purchase land and build a church. On March 27, 1880, a lot 100 ft. x 237 ft. on Railroad Ave. (now Cohawkin Road) in Clarksboro was purchased from David and Sarah Gill for $200. Members brought stones from their fields and quarries to the site, and on April 24, 1880 the cornerstone was laid with impressive ceremonies. Rev. A.S. Stelz was the first pastor of the church and was followed at the end of one year by Rev. H. Boll. This Clarksboro church was completed and dedicated in September 1880.
On April 2, 1944, Palm Sunday, one hour after worshippers left the service, fire broke out and destroyed the church beyond repair. The East Greenwich Fire Company offered the use of its hall for morning services and the Zion Church invited the members to join them for union evening services.